Thursday, June 17, 2010

Chapter 2

Yea it does
I listen to your favorite song playin' on the radio
Hear the DJ say love's a game of
Easy come and easy go
But I wonder does he know
Has it ever felt like this
And I know that you'd be here right now
If I could have let you know somehow I guess

Mike’s hand was shaking as he tried to dial Lindsay’s cell phone number onto his iPhone. He was nervous. He didn’t know why but he was. He didn’t know what to say to her. Breathe, Mike, breathe, Mike thought to himself. He waited and waited.

“Hi,” Lindsay answered on the other side.

“Hi, Lindsay, it’s me Mike,” Mike replied.

“Oh, hi, Mike,” Lindsay replied wondering why her ex was calling her. She didn’t know but she had a secret that she wanted to tell Mike. Maybe he called at the right time.

“How are ya?” Mike asked.

“I am good. Okay, where is this going to?” Lindsay answered.

“I wanna know why you broke my heart right after the best day of my life and left me standing there! Lindsay, my word! I fucking loved you every single moment and you just crushed it into a million pieces. Why? Just why? I missed you every single day and now I don’t.”

“Mike, don’t start with this right now. I have some personal shit. You know what since some of this personal shit is involved you then I guess I better tell you. Mike, I am pregnant with your child.”

“Are you even sure it’s my child, Lindsay?”

“Oh my fucking word, Mike. It’s your. I didn’t sleep with anyone but you.”

“Okay, okay, I believe you. How many months are you?” Mike asked.

“I am 2 months to be exact.”

“Oh…I remember that night. I am sorry,” Mike answered.

“You should be,” Lindsay replied. “I have to go.”

“Okay,” Mike replied as he and Lindsay hung up the phone. Mike couldn’t believe it. Lindsay was pregnant with his first child. Maybe that’s the reason why Lindsay broke up with him in the first place. Maybe she was scared that he would leave her if he found out she was pregnant. He had to go to New York City and see her. He was about to dial his travel agent’s number when he heard a knock at the door and walked over as he opened the door up as he saw Brenden standing at the front door. “Hi, Brenden.”

“Hey, Mike. How are ya?”

“I am good. You?”

“Good.”

Mike shook his head as he let Brenden in as Brenden shut the door and locked it. Mike put his phone away as he decided he will call his travel agent later. He went into the fridge and got out two beers as he tossed one to Morrow. He went over and sat down near the couch as Morrow went over and sat besides him. “What brings you hear?”

“Just wanted to see how you are doing.”

Mike just glared at Morrow, knowing that wasn’t the real reason why Morrow was here. “Okay, Bren. What is going on?”

“Alexandria kicked me out of the house for bitching about the season and the way I played. I kept bitching to her about why I didn’t defend Marty when I should have.”

“Brenden, it’s not your fault but she is trying to help you out.”

“I know she is. I didn’t come here to talk about my problems, Mike. I came here to see how you are doing without Lindsay in your life now.”

“Ah,” Mike scratched his head, wondering what to tell Brenden. Should he tell him the conversation he had with Lindsay? Or not?

“Mike, what’s going on?”

“I called her,” Mike answered, waiting for the response.

“You called Lindsay,” Brenden answered, shaking his head before looking at Mike seriously. “You called Lindsay. Your ex as in the one who broke your heart and left you on the day the fans saluted you. That one.”

“Yes, I called her, Brenden,” Mike replied, rolling his eyes.

“Why? Hasn’t she done enough?”

“Cause I wanted to know why she broke my heart okay and I told her off. I told her I didn’t want to be in her life anymore and then she told me a secret that she has been holding from me.”

“What secret?”

“That she is two months pregnant with my first child, Brenden.”

“What? Are you fucking kidding me?”

“No, I am not.”

“Wow. What are you going to do?”

“I am heading to New York City and talking to her so I can be in my child’s life. I am not abandoning my child.”

“Mike, are you sure?”

“Yes, I am positive.”

“Well, I can’t stop you. You make the best decision.”

“Thanks, Brenden.” Mike took his iPhone out and called his agent. “Hi Riley Anderson, this is Mike Modano. I was hoping if you had any tickets to New York City tonight.”

“Yes, I do. If you meet me at the airport, I can give your ticket to you there.”

“Sure thing. Thank you again, Riley.”

“You are welcome, Mr. Modano.”

Mike hit end on his iPhone and got up as he walked into his room, getting out a small bag as he packed some shirts, pants and underwear along with his toiletry bag as he went out of his bedroom with his small bag on his right shoulder and saw Brenden getting up.

“Let me take you to the airport. I can pick you up when you get back.”

“Okay.” Mike looked at Brenden before smiling and walked towards the door as Brenden squeezed his shoulder before walking out the door with Brenden behind him and locked the door.

Though it's been a while now
I can still feel so much pain
Like the knife that cuts you
The wound heals, but the scar, that scar remains

They walked outside and headed towards Brenden’s 2010 navy blue Mazda 3 as Morrow unlocked the doors and got in the drivers seat, putting his seatbelt on. Mike opened the back door and put his stuff as he shut the door. He got inside the passenger door and put his seatbelt on.

Morrow started the car and drove out of the parking lot as he headed towards the Dallas-Fort Worth Airport. He glanced at Mike before looking at the road. “You okay, Mike?”

“Yeah, I am. Just wondering if I am making the right choice by seeing Lindsay.”

“You have to make the right choice by either ending or trying to repair that relationship.”

“I know, Bren.” Mike sighed as he looked out the window wondering what to do. Is he making the right decision by seeing Lindsay or not ? Will she push him away like she always does or will she finally let him in? Those questions popped through his head as Brenden stopped the car where family or friends can drop them off at the gate.

“Mike, just go to New York City and tell Lindsay how you feel and that you want to be in your child’s life.”

“I will. Thanks, Brenden.”

“You are welcome.”

Mike gave Morrow a man hug before he got up and took his stuff out and looked around before he immediately found his travel agent Riley Anderson. He walked away from Morrow’s car before Morrow drove off and went back home to try and work things out with Alexandria. He walked over as he said “Thanks again for the ticket, Riley.”

“No problem, Mr. Modano. Have a great flight to New York City. Just call me when you are ready to come back to Dallas,” Riley replied as he gave Mike the tickets.

“I sure will.” Mike said as he gave Riley a handshake and then walked away before heading to security and then heading to the checking in area at his gate. He sat down and waited for the boarding. A few minutes he boarded the flight and was heading on his way to New York City to meet up with Lindsay and figure things out before it was too late. Was he late or was he not?

Every rose has its thorn
Just like every night has its dawn
Just like every cowboy sings a sad, sad song
Every rose has its thorn

No comments:

Post a Comment